Friday, October 2, 2009

Monster & Multiculturalism

“You’re young, you’re Black, and you’re on trial. What else do they need to know?” (Myers 79)

Unfortunately, this statement holds too much truth, even today. The stereotypes that engulf this country and our culture are staggering and devastating. But when I read Monster, I found myself torn. Of course, I didn’t think he should go to jail for life at age 16, simply for walking into a convenience store, especially given the lack of evidence against him. On the other hand, though, he was a party to the robbery that took place (at lease I got the impression he was – he doesn’t deny being a part of it, though his lawyer convinces the jury he was not) that ultimately killed a man. I think this book does a really good job of making us question what’s right and what’s wrong, and the fine line that exists between the two. Teaching this book would be a challenge, but I don’t think it is quite as controversial as some of the other books we’ve read may have been perceived to be.

The article by Hade was really helpful to me in addressing the concerns that anyone has when it comes to teaching literature. His point that we should “expose” students to diverse pieces of literature without “imposing” our own views on them is a valid point. He mentions that students “read the social context in which they interpret literature and produce readings according to what they believe their teacher wants in that particular situation” (238). This statement goes along almost directly with something we discussed in class a few weeks ago about how students don’t know how to read critically anymore. They read and try to figure out what the teacher is going to ask them, and they know that if they don’t get it, they can count on the teacher to explain it to them. This creates a vicious cycle in which, as adults, people cannot think for themselves or interpret literature. Particularly with poetry, I always felt this way: I could read it, and if I couldn’t figure out what it meant, I knew my teacher would tell me. This way of thinking led me to where I am today as far as poetry – I have no idea how to read and interpret it.

He also mentions the importance of comparing works of literature to get a point across. I liked his example about The Giving Tree and Piggybook. I haven’t read either of these books, but I am sure if I were given them separately, I would react similarly to the students, and not get the point until I read them together. We talk a lot in class about the importance of pairing literature, especially the more controversial literature, with traditional texts. Comparing works can work to a teacher’s advantage, because not only are you talking about major themes of the works, but by pairing it with something traditional, the teacher has one more thing on her side to use when parents or administrators throw up a fit over a book.

6 comments:

  1. I'm with you, Anne, when it comes to pairing unconventional texts with more traditional ones - I think it allows the teacher license to teach whatever he/she believes will make an impact on students while also covering the necessary items on any given curriculum.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "His point that we should “expose” students to diverse pieces of literature without “imposing” our own views on them is a valid point. He mentions that students “read the social context in which they interpret literature and produce readings according to what they believe their teacher wants in that particular situation” (238). This statement goes along almost directly with something we discussed in class a few weeks ago about how students don’t know how to read critically anymore."

    I'm interested in the statement that you make here Anne. I liked the way you connected Hades' ideas regarding multiculturalism to Blau's theories behind the use of literature workshops. More disturbing than Blau's realization that students were simply mimicking teacher's responses and interpretations of poetry, is the idea here that Hades' presents that students will also read and interpret "cultural" information in "teacher-pleasing" ways as well.

    The question then is, How do we present multicultural texts (oftentimes with socially "liberal" messages) to our students without imposing our views onto our students? How do we get our students to think for themselves? In what way can we facilitate discussions related to race, gender, class, etc. in our classrooms so that the students are leading and we, as teachers, are facilitating and moderating these discussions?

    Furthermore, and perhaps more troubling, how do we handle students whose current "world view" is blatantly racist?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like the statement that Hade makes that we need to expose students to diverse pieces of literature without imposing our own beliefs on it. It is so important for students to have an understanding for other cultures other than white culture. I think that it is something that they should develop their own opinions on. But the question comes to mind that Dr. Mortimore brought up. How do we deal with students who have a racist point of view?
    I do agree with you that I think this novel would be challenging to teach, but I think that it has some good points to it. I think that if it could be taught the right way, it could really have an impact on some students.

    ReplyDelete
  4. To add to that...part of me wonders if teaching a book with an African American male protagonist who is suspected of committing a crime is not, in fact, reinforcing the stereotypes many have regarding young African American males in society today...just food for thought.

    ReplyDelete
  5. While reading your post I thought of a new idea... On top of all the prejudices in this story, we could also teach upon peer pressure once again. It is evident in this story that Steve didn't want to be part of this "job." He was able to stand up and say he wasn't going to partake in the robbery but really he was. Many students may not understand but if they are with someone who steals a candy bar from the store and that person gets caught, guess who else gets in trouble. Making this connection to myself... when I was 6 or 7, my buddies and I would roam around the neihborhood looking for something to do. A couple of my friends decided to go to the trailer park next to my neighborhood and throw rocks at an abandoned mobile home... So I went with but didn't throw any rocks, the cops came and I got in big trouble. From that point on I can remember my mother saying things like: "Guilty by association" or "wrong place at the wrong time." That is how I learned that lesson but it is definitely possible your students are not aware of this.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really agree with the fact that when kids don't know the meaning of something they wait for the teacher to give them the answer. Even now in some classes I feel myself doing the same thing. I think it will be hard not to tell them what you think the text may mean, but it is important for kids to interpret literature from their own point of view.

    ReplyDelete