Monday, September 28, 2009

Teaching Speak

Speak is a strong novel, written in an odd way, that details the struggles of a teen who was raped prior to high school, and is shunned by her friends and peers alike for calling the cops at a party after her rape (no one knows why she called the cops). I thought the writing in this book was especially well done. All short stints of paragraph that seem to coincide with Melinda's inability to speak - she can relate small instances, but can't focus long enough to write in narrative form (paragraphs forming pages forming chapters). I'm not sure if Anderson did this on purpose, but I thought the writing complemented the subject matter beautifully!

While I know the subject matter is difficult (no one wants to read about rape, especially of a teenager/child!), I feel as though it is incredibly important to teach it in schools. It sends some very important messages to students about the importance of speaking up in order to heal themselves, since Melinda's ability to stand up for herself in the end saves her and starts her on the road to recovery. I also think the message that one can heal through art or writing (the tree in art class follows her through her stages of recovery, and the writing on the bathroom wall about Andy creates a community that makes her feel more empowered) is so important to kids who have trouble talking to adults about their issues (whether teachers or parents).

Going back to our discussion last week about the literary significance of this book, I think it is another instance where there is not much to teach as far as literary devices, but that doesn't mean it isn't worth teaching or doesn't belong in the classroom. This book may be easier to teach alongside something more traditional than Boy Meets Boy, and I think parents would have less of a problem with a teacher sending them home with this book. Rape is a controversial subject, to be sure, but there are, I would hope, few parents who would find this too controversial to be taught, unlike (unfortunately) the overall feeling toward homosexual novels like Boy Meets Boy, which is sad but true.

4 comments:

  1. What about using Speak to teach symbolism? There are a ton of symbols in the novel, as well as some great literary clues that teachers could use in the analysis of this novel. I think this one would be much easier to incorporate into a high school curriculum than some of the other novels we've read. What does everyone else think?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Though I agree Brooke this book has alot of symbolism, you would have to be careful the students did not get lost in the symbolism. I realize this is a major job for the teacher, however just something to consider.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also agree... I know for me, I realized that I have never read a lot of the literature alluded to in the book, and now I want to run to Borders and buy those texts for myself.
    Plus I think this is just a good story and a lot more realistic than BMB. It isn't overtly homosexual in content, but like Latham suggests I think students could see it that way if they needed to. Overall, I think this is one of the better books because it touches on a few of the ideas we have discussed so far: Teen sex, homosexuality, and discovering oneself.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I guess the real question here is, how do we teach sensitive issues like this to our students?

    ReplyDelete